1969 Chevrolet Corvette L-88 L88
Restored Factory Documented L88 Convertible 1 of 3 in this Color
1969 Corvette L88 Roadster Fully Documented
• Recipient of Some of the Most Prestigious Corvette Awards, Including the Coveted Triple Diamond/Triple Crown Award
• 1 of 3 in this Color Combination
• Complete Matching-Numbers
• One of Just 99 4-speed manual (M22 “Rock Crusher”) Examples Produced for 1969
• Fully Documented with Tank Sticker and Awards
• Bloomington Gold Certified
• Bloomington Gold Special Collection
• Multiple NCRS Top Flights
• Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals Triple Diamond
• In L88 Registry
• First Owner (acquired new via Malcolm Konner Chevrolet, Caldwell, New Jersey, in 1969)
• Pat Shwery, Jackson, Tennessee (acquired in 1978)
• Steve Hendrickson, Minnesota (acquired in 1990)
• Kelly Curry, Fort Myers, Florida (acquired from the above in 1992)
• Tom O'Brien, Nokesville, Virginia (acquired in 1996)
• Dick Bridges, Rockville, South Carolina
• The Steinman Brothers Collection, Connecticut
• Terry Michealis, Napoleon, Ohio
• Current Owner (acquired from the above in 2007)
• Bloomington Gold “Earthquake 88” Special Collection, Illinois, 1988
• Chevy/Vettefest, Chicago, 2006 (Golden Spinner Award)
• Bloomington Gold “L88 Invasion” Special Collection, Illinois, 2008
• National Corvette Restorers Society, Syosset, New York, 2009 (Top Flight Award)
• Bloomington Gold Corvettes USA, Illinois, 2010 (Gold Certified)
• Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals, Chicago, 2010 (Triple Diamond Award)
L88s were produced in very limited numbers, and this sensational example is one of just 116 made for 1969, the final production year. The car was originally equipped with the desirable four -speed manual gearbox and finished in Burgundy over a black interior. The consignor, a longtime NCRS judge with multiple L88s, believes it is one of just three delivered in this stunning color. Rarer still, this car retains its original tank sticker which was discovered by a previous owner, carefully removed, and validated by the NCRS.
Delivered new through the renowned Konner Chevrolet dealership of Caldwell, New Jersey, by 1978, the car was in the care of L88 enthusiast Pat Shwery, who had searched for more than two years for a great example. In light of its significance, Mr. Shwery put leading L88 restorer and Bloomington Gold Judge Tim Thorpe in charge of its restoration. The Corvette was then owned by several L88 enthusiasts during the 1990s, most notably well-known L88 collector Steve Hendrickson. It was also a part of the Steinman Brothers Collection before the current owner acquired it in 2007. In 2008, the Corvette was treated to a body-off chassis and interior. Since then, the car has also been expertly repainted, bringing it up to optimal condition.
Equiped with side pipes and a removable hardtop, this L88 has won some of the most prestigious Corvette awards, including the coveted triple diamond/triple crown: the NCRS Top Flight, Bloomington Gold, and the Chevy/Vettefest Gold Spinner awards. Invited to three Bloomington Gold L88 special collections, this is a highly scrutinized and well-known example. Rare and brutally powerful, this award-winning Corvette is an important example of one of America's most iconic automotive achievements.
This is a rare opportunity to own an “Investment Grade” AAA Corvette.
Exterior: #1, Paint was done in 2017 and is in excellent condition. The Chrome and Brightwork is in excellent condition. Hardtop is in excellent condition along with the soft-top. The wheels and trim rings are in very good condition.
Interior: #1-, All original except for the carpets. The Door Panels, Dash Board and Seats are all original. The seats have the original foam in them and could be replaced.
Engine Compartment: #1-. Carburetor was just rebuilt. The car was just dry ice cleaned, chrome on the valve covers are like new. Paint on the engine is as originally applied.
Chassis: #1-. In very good condition, control arms, trailing arms are powder coated, Frame is proper shade of factory black. The natural items are coated with a preservative. The cad plated items are in good condition and show little signs of wear. The rear spring and bushings were restored and bushing replaced last year.
- Engine Type
- Engine Size
- Fuel Specification
- Body Color
- Body Style
- Paint Type
- Corvette L-88
- Interior Color
- Secondary Interior Color
- Seating Type
- Seat Material
- Shifter Type
- Center Console
- Engine Size
- Transmission Type
- 4-Speed Manual
- Body Style